- /ðɛmˈsɛlvz/, /DEm"sElvz/
- Hyphenation: them·selves
- (the reflexive case of they, the third-person plural personal pronoun) The people previously mentioned, as the object of a verb or following a preposition, where the people are also the subject of the verb; also used for emphasis.
- The person of unspecified gender previously mentioned, as the object of a verb or following a preposition, where the person is also the subject of the verb; also used for emphasis.
- For notes on the usage referring to a person of unspecified gender, see the usage notes for they.
the reflexive case of they, the third-person plural personal pronoun
the persons of unspecified gender previously mentioned, as the object of a verb or following a preposition
Themselves are a musical duo made up of rapper Doseone (Adam Drucker) and producer Jel (Jeff Logan). Dax Pierson, or Dax, has also played keyboards, though he is not an official member. To date, they have released three full-length albums and two singles on the anticon. label, as well as being featured on multiple compilations.
Themselves made their debut on Anticon's 1998 breakout compilation Music for the Advancement of Hip Hop. Their first album, Them, was released in 1999 after being recorded in 1997 and 1998 (under the name Them). This was followed in 2000 by the 12-inch single Joyful Toy of 1001 Faces and another single, This About the City Too, in 2002.
In 2003 they released The No Music to mixed reviews, but the release brought increased attention to the group and to Anticon. The tracks on that album were remixed and released the next year as The No Music of AIFFS.
In 2004 they joined forces with the German band The Notwist to form 13 & God, releasing their self-titled album to favorable reviews.
According to a recent statement by Doseone, a new Themselves album is in the works.
As Subtle, with other instrumentalists
- Summer EP (A Purple 100, 2001)
- Winter EP (A Purple 100, 2002)
- Autumn EP (A Purple 100, 2002)
- Spring EP (A Purple 100, 2003)
- A New White (Lex Records, 2004)
- Earthsick (A Purple 100, 2004)
- Wishingbone (Lex Records, 2006)
- For Hero: For Fool (Lex Records, 2006)
- Yell&Ice (Lex Records, 2007)
- ExitingARM (Lex Records, 2008)
themselves in German: Themselves
themselves in French: Themselves
I, I myself, alter, alter ego, alterum, better self, ego, ethical self, he, her, herself, him, himself, inner man, inner self, it, me, my humble self, myself, number one, oneself, other self, ourselves, self, she, subconscious self, subliminal self, superego, them, they, you, yours truly, yourself, yourselves